Monday, September 26, 2005

September 23rd

Day 4

Today I wasn't really interested in bringing everyone around, kinda tired of it, wanted to do my stuff, but as u'll see that didn't really happen. I left my place at about 12, slacked a bit in my room, typed this blog on my com. So I went to this place to use the net, its called the Old Library, and it doesn't have any books, it used to be a library I guess, hence its name. For now, I have to use this internet bubble thing, where I don't have to log in to access the net, but the com are quite limited, so it was full. I waited awhile but gave up. So I meet up with the rest in town, a few of them this time. At town, we walked here n there, and got stuck at a sports shop, that was having a sale, the guys bought some Nike soccer boots going for $33, cheap! Was stuck there I long time man. After which we headed for this supermart that the guys wanted to go, and this senior called Regent (yes! Regent) brought us there. On the way there was a Chinese supermart, a big one, and we had to stop to get stuff, some of them share a sack of rice (10kg!!) and carried it around of course. Haha. There I got some stuff like oyster sauce and black bean sauce and instant noodles (indo mee!).

The supermart was indeed cheaper than the one in town, so got some stuff for dinner. Since we were in the area of Fenham, I decided to go to this girl's house to pick up the stuff that I bought for 10 pounds, which was a big box of stuff. I called a cab to bring it back to my place, and it couldn't even fit (though the cab was a passat, nice!). so I took everything out and put it in the boot. It was indeed troublesome, but I had some help. I've got a rice cooker, blender, small iron, plates, one bowl, one fork (??), an pair of chopsticks, knife sharpener (??), a book in conceptual design and a shit load of notes! Crazy!

So after that we had dinner, and I cooked! I cooked black bean chicken with spring onions, and I taught another guy how to cook scrambled eggs, which turned out to be minced eggs, can't blame him. Haha. And of course everyone said it was great, believe it or not. One of them even told other friends I was a good cook! Actually, it was kinda easy to make la.

After dinner, we joined some guys living in the same block for drinks at some pub near school. It was a bunch of mature students actually, mature meaning over 21. funny huh? There we met some other people, like one guy from Manchester, studying medicine, and I found out that Newcastle is one of, or the best to study medicine in the country. Met two more studying medicine too, one guy lived in Singapore for a few years too, and the other actually has a degree in history. Oh, the guy from Manchester also has a degree already, in chemistry. Interesting huh? And another girl doing dentistry. We moved on to another pub, and it was cold tonight, was shivering actually. In that place I ended up talking to this guy from Germany, who also looks a lot like Matt Damon, seriously, with thick black glasses. We talked a lot about of education systems and our countries. They wanted to go to another pub, but one of our guys (three of us that night) wanted to go back already.


September 24th

Day 5

Today one of the seniors arranged to meet to go to the city of Durham, which is very nearby, about 15-20 mins train ride away. And Durham is also famous for it was used as one of the site for the movie, Harry Potter. I don't know which one or which part, but I could recognize anything. So one the way to the train station, the seniors (two of them) brought us to see some key places like Chinese shops and food. We also past by St. James park, which only means more time wasting for 11 people to take photos.

The train system here is much different. The trains we took were the kind that could take us to other city like London. At the station, we purchased tickets and board the train. In the train, train conductors will be there to check your tickets, but short trips like for us today, most likely you wont get checked, but you can never be too sure. And the fines can be a lot, like 20 or 50 pounds, not sure. But both ways nobody was there to check. So that the system here.

Durham is really a nice place. It has its own university, which is also quite popular, a castle, a cathedral and a monastery. The castle is now part of the uni, it was actually donated by the duke or prince or whatever they call him. Coz when the government came into play, this guys could not collect taxes from the people and therefore could not up keep the castle. Now its used also for student accommodation. There are guided tours there too, but we didn't go. We spent a lot of time taking photos, you will see them soon. And we went into the cathedral, which is built in 1095, amazing. Very nice inside, stained glass, super high ceilings, tombs, sculptures, everything an old cathedral should have. I like the designs a lot actually, medieval and stuff. This place is also the final resting place of St. Cuthbert (if I've got the spelling right). His monks brought his remains here from this island called the holy island, which is another nice place not far from Newcastle too. And coz of the attacks from the Vikings, they brought him here. When the monks open the tomb, they found that his body was perfectly preserved even after 200 years. So this place has a really rich history, no pictures of inside the cathedral as photo takings are not allowed, just like most churches except the modern ones. We ended off the tour of the cathedral by walking up to the top of one of its towers, which is about 325 steps (its written at the start), it was a long walk up a never ending spiral stairs, there was a lot of complaining along the way up, but the view was breathtaking.

After that we headed down for lunch, there was this one shop that says probably the best fish and chips, so we tried that, but most of them didn't want to as they thought it was expensive, welcome to England. But the fish was nice, just that I like mine with tartar sauce and lemons, instead it was with salt and vinegar (yes! Its like that in the UK). I couldn't finish the huge portion, left quite a lot of chips.

Dinner was steamboat that those senior's place, everyone was to provide food and just be there, I provided chicken breasts. The steamboat as really nice, lots of food, two different kind of soup, one is some hot reddish stuff, Chinese thing, not sure what its called, and the other was kinda herbal soup, both really nice. These seniors really can cook man. Great stuff. When we left, there was a lot of people around, all going to drink or club (he lives near the pubs area, which of course can be noisy). We thought it was quite cold, but these guys are in t-shirt and jeans, girls their sexy outfits, these guys can really stand the cold well.

September 25th

Day 6

It's a nice cool Sunday morning, and I was up bright and early unfortunately, at about 0830. Today the seniors planned for us to go to the quayside to visit the flea market. You must have read a lot about this quayside thing, and maybe not quite get what it is. You see, this place is first of all called Newcastle upon Tyne, that is, it is along the river Tyne, hence upon Tyne. There are other cities that are upon something also, like something upon Tweed, and something upon Wear. So obviously Newcastle has a river Tyne running through it. And there is the quayside, along the river, just like Boat Quay or Clarke Quay. It is quite a nice site really, there are about five bridges there, and they are quite amazing, engineering feats really.

So the flea market, I can explain it in a sentence. A lot of things, nothing to buy. Though I bought 1 item, and also a burger, which was nice actually, but probably unhealthy. After that, we headed to the Baltic Art Museum (I think its called), it used to be Baltic Flour Mill, and the print is still there. I've never really been to art museums, but it was nice really, just that some was quite crappy. But there were some that were really interesting. Its not all paintings, if fact not that much paintings. There were sculptures and designs of some sort, also quite a lot of videos. Its comptemporary art I think. Anyway, it was free, haha.

We then grabbed some stuff from a household kinda shop, and frozen food and finally some fresh food for dinner. We rushed back to meet the rest for a soccer game. Yeah, I played, but cant play that well so played a more relaxed role. Was quite fun, though I was put into the china men team, most of them I've never seen before until that day. I should consider buying a pair of boots if I really want to play more, as there is a sale now, nike boots the 90 one, going for 11.50 pounds, damn cheap can.

Went back to cook for dinner, black pepper beef! I cook again. So happy. Haha. It was really nice actually. After that we went out, me nicky and two hong kong girls, to meet the rest. Got to the student union just to find out it was full. Today is the first day for fresher's week, so damn packed. Plus I didn't pay for the fresher's week, so couldn't enjoy its benefits. I joined my flat mate a another pub called Old Orleans, but most of the time we were talking to each other, as it us the Chinese people. We were making fun of this hong kong girl, that one of the guys like her, we (me and nicky) didn't know for sure, but we could see the signs, if u know what i mean. He's always talking to her, walking with her, stuff like that. Anyways, her face turn red coz of that, it was really really funny. she was covering her face with her jacket. so now i've got to find out if its true so i can tease her more, yay! so mean...

Oh, I finally got a new duvet cover, I've have enough of the purple one. Just bought one today, and it black with grey lines or squares actually, kind of a modern design, I like. So time to test it out now...


keith at 4:28 PM
0 bullcrap Post a Comment
***

About the Writer:
.
.
.
.
.
.


About the Past:

11.04

12.04

01.05

02.05

03.05

04.05

05.05

06.05

07.05

08.05

09.05

10.05

11.05

12.05

01.06

02.06

03.06

04.06

05.06

06.06

07.06

08.06

09.06

10.06

11.06

12.06

01.07

02.07

03.07

04.07

05.07

06.07

07.07

08.07

09.07

10.07

11.07

04.08


talk