Monday, February 19, 2007

Happy Chinese New Year

Happy new year to all.

Yup, we do celebrate Chinese New Year in Newcastle. We do have a Chinatown.
Woke up early today, although I really wanted to sleep in, but its Chinese New Year! And its MY year, pig year.
Went to church first, a Singaporean priest was serving mass, and wished him happy new year after. Surprising huh? He's attached here in Newcastle for a couple of years, was from Novena before this.

So met up with my polish and arab classmate, to bring them out to experience the chinese culture. I'm just not the right person though, couldn't answer a lot of the questions, like what is the lion dance for? Is that a dragon or a snake? Is that his candy in front of him? My favorite question: Why is the lion eating cabbage? Ans: Coz he is hungry?
I was told the answer from a more knowledgeable person a few hours later, just to find out a few more hours later that he was wrong.
Worse thing was translating all those chinese words for them. Yes, I suck. Kinda regret not learning my chinese well in school. Oh well.
My friends were shopping like they were in China for a day. Even bought bloody fortune cookies. Hahaha.

We had Chinese New Year dinner at a chinese restaurant, Tai Pan, and had steamboat there. Well, its was oooook. My polish classmate joined me, this is one funny fellow, made everyone laugh with him talking, normally. He ate the bloody 'tang hun' raw.

I felt like I was popular for a day, kinda thing today. Everyone wanted a picture with me (especially the girls, ahem...). People clapped and cheered for me when I was playing some (lame) game. And without fail, more gossiping about me, not behind my back, but in my face. I guess I cant help attracting unwanted attention.

But although so far away from home, it was still a great chinese new year to remember.


keith at 11:08 AM
0 bullcrap Post a Comment
***

About the Writer:
.
.
.
.
.
.


About the Past:

11.04

12.04

01.05

02.05

03.05

04.05

05.05

06.05

07.05

08.05

09.05

10.05

11.05

12.05

01.06

02.06

03.06

04.06

05.06

06.06

07.06

08.06

09.06

10.06

11.06

12.06

01.07

02.07

03.07

04.07

05.07

06.07

07.07

08.07

09.07

10.07

11.07

04.08


talk